Friday, June 15, 2007

Friday Fun: Your Road Trip Mix Tape

There are songs which help keep highway hypnosis at bay. The energy, the fun, the sing-along potential make them great for those long hours in the car, particularly if you are stuck in the chaos of Friday vacation traffic. Sometimes, in order to keep your sanity, it is important to have a collection of songs that will make the time fun, or at the very least, tolerable.

Here is my top 10 selection, go ahead and add your own.

On the Road Again by Willie Nelson- Mandatory, probably for any mix tape but especially this one.

The Way by Fastball- You wouldn't think a song about packing your bags, leaving the kids behind and all responsibility behind could be so fun. ;)

Mr. E's Beautiful Blues by Eels- It's not the best lyrics that you'll ever hear but it's nearly impossible not to chime in when they sing "God damn right it's a beautiful day!"

Crash by The Primitives- "Here you go, way too fast. Don't look out you're gonna craaaash." Quite possibly the most energetic song to have sha-na-na in the lyrics.

Scar Tissue by the Red Hot Chilipeppers- You need a downtime song on the mix tape... and I gotta go with this one.

Into the Great Wide Open by Tom Petty- Is there are song about bigger possibilities!?

I Wanna Rock 'N' Roll All Night by Kiss- This is the last resort song. If this one can't wake you up, pull over and get some sleep.

Song 2 by Blur- Whoohoo! 'Nuff said

Basket Case by Green Day- "Do you have the time to listen to me whine..." Hey, I've got as long as this trip is gonna take.

Heart Shaped Box by Nirvana- I haven't a clue what Cobain was saying but it doesn't stop me from screaming "Hey... wait!"

5 Comments:

At June 15, 2007 1:50 PM, Blogger Janie L. Hermann said...

I would have to add:

"I Want Candy" and "Louie Quatorze" by Bow Wow Wow

"Born to Run" by The Boss

"Walking on Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves

"500 Miles" by the Proclaimers

If I Should Fall from Grace with God" by the Pogues

"At the Hundredth Meridian" by The Tragically Hip

Oh, and on the return trip home, the classic Spirit of the West song "Home for a Rest" would be a must.

 
At June 16, 2007 5:26 AM, Blogger Pseudandry said...

How did you leave out:

"Radar Love" by Golden Earring, and

"Paradise by the Dashboard Lights" by Meatloaf, and

"Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen?

 
At June 16, 2007 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

bohmian and paradise are on the top 20 list...

As much as I would agree that Radar Love belongs on some people's... the song will never find its way on to mine. ;)

 
At June 18, 2007 1:28 PM, Blogger Peter Bromberg said...

I can't believe anyone else even knows "Crash" by the Primitives! Janie already mentioned "500 Miles", and 100th Meridian, (I love singing, "Get Ry Cooder to sing my Eulogy" at the top of my lungs! The libraraianator came up with my #1, Radar Love (and there's no close second!) So I'll throw in some wild cards: ELP's "Karn Evil 9" and Eric Clapton's, "The Core".

Great thread Ty!

 
At June 18, 2007 9:16 PM, Blogger Janie L. Hermann said...

Pete: I knew there was reason we were friends... any American who knows enough about The Hip to know their lyrics and quote a fairly obscure line from one of their great songs is freaking awesome. You never cease to amaze me... oh, and I would quote my favorite line from the 100th Meridian but it is not FCC friendly ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home