Sunday, April 29, 2007

A Serendipitous Stumble: Social Computing Magazine

I was just surfing around looking for information on several topics for a variety of reasons when I came across Social Computing Magazine and had to share my serendipitous find.

Actually, I did not find the site directly but rather the article Wikis, Collective Intelligence and Libraries written by Laura B. Cohen. The article challenges academic librarians to create more subject-based wikis and to collaborate with students in order to take advantage of the collective intelligence of students and to keep their sites current. I think that public libraries should also be trying to harness the collective intelligence of their community via the use of wikis and this article gave me some great food for thought for a future post on this topic.

It is hard to tell how long the "magazine" has been around -- I would say no more than two months given the dates of the articles in their online archives and the fact that some of the topics have yet to be written about. The articles and topics on the site look promising, but when I went to the message boards it seems as if they are just getting going with them.

While I was exploring, I read the article on The Blogger's Code of Conduct and bookmarked it separately for future reference and use in blogging classes ... oh, and though it took some doing, I finally discovered the crucial information I was wanting to know -- who is the person/people behind this venture. I finally found it at the bottom of the article Is 'Social Computing" a Breakthrough -- or an Oxymoron?

Jeremy Geelan is Founder, Publisher, and Editor-in-Chief of Social Computing Magazine. He blogs at The New Web Blog and is Executive Director of The Social Computing Foundation.

It will be interesting to keep tabs on this in the months to come.

Edited to add:

Jeremy Geelan emailed me today to thank me for the positive review (and it is a positive review, I found the content useful and the overall site design easy to navigate). My one complaint about not easily finding the information about who was behind the site was a lot more visible than I originally thought -- I will blame it on the fact that I was posting late on a Sunday night after spending the day in the garden and chasing after my toddler ;-)

In any event, here is some text from the email Jeremy sent that will help clear up the issue:

... As to prime movers, there is one other link on the SCM main page that would have helped you, at the bottom left: http://www.socialcomputingmagazine.com/editboard.cfm . We probably need to move that up above the fold, but we wanted content to come first, and personalities onl a distant second.

Between them, these guys are some of the most forward-thinking, savvy minds involved anywhere in and on the Web today. I am just the (lucky) conductor... they each play their instruments far better than I ever shall!

Thanks for the good thoughts,...and don't forget, either, that SCM is a participatory site, so the more folks become involved the merrier: http://www.socialcomputingmagazine.com/submitnews.cfm


I for one plan to become involved and encourage others in the biblioblogosphere to do the same and give a librarian voice to this new venture.

Thanks for emailing me Jeremy!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At April 30, 2007 3:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You're very welcome. We have created a bibliography tab to house the favorite SoC books and articles, as nominated by readers and visitors to the site. The first ones are coming in as we speak...http://www.socialcomputingmagazine.com/directory.cfm?id=9

Jeremy G.

--
Jeremy Geelan
Founder & Publisher
Social Computing Magazine
jeremy@socialcomputingmagazine.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home