Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Hope Springs Eternal in the Library Garden

First off, I have to thank Pete for inviting me to join Library Garden; it has been an honor and I hope my contributions have been for the better ;-) Second, thanks to all my other fellow biblio-green thumbs, I have learned a tremendous amount from your posts.

With spring in the air and the rejuvenating feelings of a first anniversary (did anyone bring cake?), I thought it might be take a look at what we hope might happen/change in the library profession over the next year or so. Personally, I am going to break this down into three categories; 1-What should've been done last year, 2- the change I am going to push for and 3- my pie in the sky wishful thinking. I will finish up with a Nostradamus-esque prediction... Why? Eh, it's nice out, I'm inside and it seems like the right time to do so.

What we need to do already!- Allow our computers to accept memory sticks/flash drives. Some PCs don't even come with a floppy drive anymore, it's time for us to quit worrying about security issues with these devices and let our patrons use the information they have.

What I am pushing for- I am going to continue my push to get video games into libraries. We can no longer hide behind the fear that teens will not return games when we already lost thousands of dollars a year to adults not returning books, CDs and movies.

My Pie in the sky dream- I would love for our library system to get their own library card maker so patrons could make custom library cards! We could still have the standard card but, for a small fee, grandparents could get their grandkids pictures on their cards, people could put their pets, favorite band or celebrity on it. Heck, let teens put their boyfriend or girlfriend pictures on there... at the rate they go through relationships, you would pay for the machine before midterms let out!

Nostradummy Prediction- A Book will be banned somewhere and there will be much discourse about it. In time, people will learn that one of the protesters did not read the book. This will be their downfall; for how can you protest what you do not know? It might be found out that a defender did not read the book either but it wont matter; as it turns out, the protest is not about the book itself, but an person's choice to read it.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At March 29, 2007 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!
I agree with the need for allowing patrons to use memory sticks/flash drives.
I am glad that some libraries have video games and I hope all do soon.
I love the idea of customized cards! Even if it just started with a few choices like you have when you buy gift cards at Target I think this would be fun....

 
At March 30, 2007 5:52 AM, Blogger Robert J. Lackie said...

Loved your post, Tyler--and it is great having you on board at the Garden. I laughed with you at the the flash drive comment (still such a problem when I present at schools). And your book-banning/critique comment is right on the mark. Interestingly, I have seen critiques of books on Amazon where the people recommended or trashed a book, even after stating somewhere within the "critique" that they did not read it--amazing to me. Anyway, thanks again, and keep blogging!

 
At March 30, 2007 1:51 PM, Blogger Peter Bromberg said...

Ty,

Thanks for Blogging, with us and sharing your YA perspective with the readers of Library Garden. I love the ideas in this post SO MUCH. Customized card? Wow! That could be sooo much fun for our customers, and make the library seem a bit more playful. Memory sticks? A no brainer. How come it's not already being done?? Games in the library? We KNOW that's a winner!

Oh, and love the prediction too. Have you thought of opening up a 1-900 line?? :-)

See you at NJLA,

-Pete

 
At March 30, 2007 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your blog is really wonderful!

Simona
italian librarian
LAB-Library blog: http://www.simonainserra.splinder.com

 
At April 01, 2007 8:58 AM, Blogger Nancy Dowd said...

I agree with what everyone has said so far- what great ideas Tyler- that customized library card is fantastic- what a great marketing tool. Memory cards, video games... all are so needed. I love hearing your ideas! -Nancy

 
At April 07, 2007 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tyler - Love every suggestion! Especially the one about a Video Game Collection @ OCL. Let's get together and tweak the proposal from last year NOW!!! Deal? Great hearing from you on Library Garden one of my Fav's! Judy Mac

 

Post a Comment

<< Home