Friday, March 09, 2007

Having Fun Isn't Hard ...

... When You've Got a Library Card!

This is the second time in a week that I have heard this song -- really quite odd considering I have never heard it ever before. The first time was on Tuesday while my toddler was watching Arthur on PBS and the second time was this morning while I was browsing YouTube for a few good examples to use in a new class I am putting together.

The lyrics (which really are quite catchy) can be found in Arthur's Songbook and a quick search reveals that this song by Arthur and Friends first got airplay as an episode in February 1999 -- and has since been used by various libraries as a promotional song to encourage children to get a library card.

My second encounter with this song was in a recently posted video called A YouTube Salute to Librarians. The description reads:

Five minutes of your life you'll wish you had back, this includes a mintage of sceens from classic TV as well as random uploads to youtube, all about Librarians.

The music is purevolume.com's salute to librarians.



I
really have to disagree. I found those 5 minutes to be quite entertaining -- enough so, that I watched it a second time (thus giving up 10 minutes of my life) and I am also posting the link here for others to spend 5 minutes enjoying on a Friday afternoon as they wind down the work week.

All the songs in the salute come from purevolume.com -- a site that had missed my radar until now. It is amazing how many library-related songs can be found by searching purevolume (but I still like the list of library songs posted by Fiona better).

A little bit of digging reveals that this salute was created by Devin Singley, a 23 year old who states in his bio that he is "currently in the process of working towards a Master’s Degree in Library and Information Studies from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. With this degree, I plan on finding a career as a school Media Librarian". Welcome to the profession Devin, and what a great way to mark your entrance!

ETA: I have to say that my favorite section is where the "advanced drawer pull" is demonstrated about half way through. Not sure why, but it makes me laugh -- I am easily amused some days. Oh, and the Library Card song in the video is not the original Arthur version, it is a cover done by a garage band called the Pink Fuzzies and it seems unclear to me if it was ever released beyond being online.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At April 11, 2007 7:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I decided to switch my concentration to Academic Libraries. But thanks for getting my name out there. I will link to your blog from mine.

 
At May 17, 2007 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought you'd enjoy this!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SVwGbKq4Q_M

 

Post a Comment

<< Home