Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The 2007 New York Comicconmade the 2006 look like an idiot; well, it sort of was in certain ways. This year, the planners anticipated tens of thousands of registrants and actually set a cut-off number at 40,000. As unlikely as it seems that kind of attendence could be reached, the Saturday tickets were sold out well before the actual date. The planners also put Artist Alley in a whole other part of the convention center and enlarged the walkways about three feet to help traffic. Considering the fact I felt like I was on a subway during rush hour last year, I never felt crowded this time… and mind you, that was with 40,000 other people in the same place!
Sellers, artists, and distributors took the convention much more seriously this year. The gaming industry game out in huge numbers. The front portion of the display hall was packed with various consoles and games, there was even a gaming hall in the downstairs room.
While looking through all the gaming booths, I came across a company that caught my eye, Flying Lab Software. They were promoting a new MMO (Massive Multiplayer Online Game) called Pirates of the Burning Sea. Personally, I am not a huge fan of MMOs, but I was pretty hooked after they encouraged me to sit down and play for a few minutes. In fact, I was so impressed that I asked if I could hold a podcast interview with one of the staff members to help promote the game.




A total bonus for just trying the game at the Comiccon was a free t-shirt. It was a tough choice; I passed on the “Support Piracy” shirt in favor of “Getting Booty Since 1720."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home