Wednesday, May 30, 2007

You Don't Have To

Feeling overwhelmed by everything?

I sure have lately! Finding facebook and loving it somehow pushed me over the edge. I thought of myself as "keeping up" and "in the know," and then somehow I found myself feeling as if I'm drowning in the sea of incredible, new and fun tools, unable to get a breath!

I was talked down by this post from The Shifted Librarian (Jenny Levine). All I can say is, Thank you, thank you, thank you, Jenny. Your timing couldn't have been more perfect (sorry for that word ha ha.)

Please, for those of you feeling overwhelmed, I highly recommend you read it. Now.

You can't do it all, and admitting it is okay. This online stuff, it's
great. We *love* living in this time, right? It's fun, it's constant learning,
it's empowering and alluring if you love learning and information. All of those
tools at our fingertips to learn about and play with, all to help people. It's
beyond cool.

But it's not your life, nor should it be. You have to learn to let some of it go and then be okay with that (which is the hard part). Michael Stephens talks a lot about how librarians need to let go of the "culture of perfect." For the younger bibliobloggers I will add that you have to learn to let some of the pressure go. You physically cannot keep up with it all, so beating yourself up over failing to do so is pointless.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At May 31, 2007 3:04 AM, Blogger Lee said...

Hi. I've just tagged one of you for the 8-fact meme.

 
At May 31, 2007 9:38 AM, Blogger Christen said...

Hahahaha!

I'm tagging you, too!!! =)

http://christenlynn.blogspot.com/2007/05/ive-been-tagged.html

 
At May 31, 2007 9:39 AM, Blogger Amy J. Kearns, MLIS said...

Wait, wait, wait! Hold your horses! I post about being overwhelmed and you all start tagging us!? How are we supposed to keep up with all those tags!?

;-)

SERENITY NOW!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home