Friday, May 25, 2007

Friday Fun: Are you old?

The bloggers at Library Garden have a little listerv on the side that we use to stay in touch with each other, and this week we found ourselves questioning whether or not we're old. This was prompted by an experience Amy had at the reference desk, and I'll let her blog about that if she chooses.

I was reminded of an old SNL monologue by Billy Crystal where he recounts his young daughter saying to him, "Daddy, is it true that Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings?" To which he replies in the voice of an old Jewish man, "Let me tell you about a little band known as... THE BEATLES."

In an effort to help Amy feel a bit younger, I posed these questions on the listserv and suggested that if she could answer 'no' to ten of them, she's decidely not old. At her suggestion, I'm sharing them here. Enjoy! And a most pleasant weekend to all!

  • Did you ever have a black and white TV? One with knobs (no buttons, no remote)
  • Did you ever NOT have a microwave oven?
  • Did you ever have a car with a "choke"?
  • When you were growing up were you limited to 12 channels?
  • Do you remember when people used to smoke on planes?
  • - And in stores?
  • - And at work?
  • - And in bed?
  • Do remember when the FDA tried to ban saccharine?
  • Do you remember when laetrile was going to cure cancer?
  • Have you ever known a world without:
  • - velcro?
  • - computers?
  • - digital cameras?
  • - compact discs?
  • Do you remember when polaroid was state of the art?
  • Do you remember when tape recorder meant reel-to-reel?
  • Did you ever take a tube out of your tv and bring it down to the local hardware store to test it on a big machine to see if it needed replacing?
  • Did a teacher ever make you run things off on a mimeograph?
  • Do you even know what a mimeograph is?
  • Did you ever wear parachute pants?
  • Do you remember when PONG was the most cutting edge video game and you thought your head would explode from the joy of playing it?
  • Did you ever have a commodore vic 20? (and thought your head would explode, etc...)
  • Do you remember when we didn't own our own phones; we rented them from Bell Atlantic?
  • Do remember when the flip phone first came out and you thought your head would explode from the joy of flipping it open?
  • Do you remember stores giving away green stamps?
  • Do you remember shopping at Two Guys? at Korvettes?
  • Do you remember when Exxon was Esso?
  • Do you remember when gas was .55 cents/gallon and people were freaked out about how expensive it was getting?
  • Do you remember waiting on long lines to gas, and you had to go on an "odd" day or an "even" day.
  • Do you remember when Iran and Iraq were our friends?
  • Do you remember listening to Bobby Sherman on 8-track?
  • Do you remember twoallbeefpattiesspecialsaucelettucecheesepicklesonions- onasesameseedbun (and can you sing it?)
  • Do you remember when the coffee stirrers at McDonalds had little spoons on the end?
  • Do you remember when McDonalds discontinued them?
  • Do you remember WHY McDonalds discontinued them? (snort, snort)
  • Do you remember Hamilton Jordan at studio 54 (see a theme here?)
  • Do you remember ABSCAM?
  • Do you remember ME shirts (talking about McDonalds)?
  • Do you remember when Pet Rocks were the rage?
  • Do you remember Squirmels?
  • Do you remember When Evel Knievel jumped the Snake River Canyon? (well, he tried anyway)
  • Do you remember that George Hamilton movie where he played Evel Kneivel??
  • Do you remember Beer commercials with the "ya doesn't have to call me johnson" guy?
  • Do you remember Aste Spumante commercials?


Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At May 25, 2007 4:51 PM, Blogger Julian said...

I could answer "yes" to only five. I guess I'm half-old. And I'm a Millennial.

 
At May 25, 2007 6:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Pete - according to the number of yes answers I'm very old.

 
At May 25, 2007 7:10 PM, Blogger Janie L. Hermann said...

I am not sure if I am old or if there is cultural bias going on. Some of my No answers may be due to growing up in the Great White North.

Since I am older than both you and Robert, and since you identified yourself as old... I guess I will have to own up to being ancient ;-)

 
At May 25, 2007 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I'm ancient. But at least I'm still willing to learn...

 
At May 26, 2007 10:40 AM, Blogger Amy J. Kearns, MLIS said...

You guys are great! :-) Thanks!

 
At May 26, 2007 11:02 AM, Blogger Amy J. Kearns, MLIS said...

You can read my original story here:

http://urbanlibrarian.com/2007/05/26/omg-im-old.aspx

 
At May 26, 2007 4:09 PM, Blogger Michael Stephens said...

I am OLD! I answered yes to more than a few!

 
At May 26, 2007 4:19 PM, Blogger Christen said...

Thank you! I'm feeling quite young now!

And why did McDonalds get rid of the coffee stirrers with the spoons?

 
At May 26, 2007 9:43 PM, Blogger Peter Bromberg said...

Christen,

McDonalds (allegedly) dumped the spoons because they were (allegedly) being used to do cocaine and (allegedly) became associated with the drug culture. (allegedly)

-Pete

(And OK, I never actually listened to Bobby Sherman on 8-track, but only because I wasn't cool enough to have an 8-track :-(

 
At May 26, 2007 11:00 PM, Blogger Janie L. Hermann said...

Oh Pete, you would have been jealous of the huge 8-track player my Dad got for me the year he had to miss Christmas and so overcompensated in the gift department. He even got me an ultra cool Leo Sayer 8-track as well as the Bee Gees and Abba. I was in heaven... the era of Janie the Roller Disco Queen began that Christmas.

 
At May 30, 2007 10:11 AM, Blogger Lisa Coats said...

O. My. God. According to this quiz, I am really old. But I'm not even 40 -- ok, really close, but NOT QUITE!

Thanks for putting the twoallbeefpatties song in my head for the rest of the day! :)

 
At May 31, 2007 4:21 PM, Blogger kittent said...

I'm old...I know I'm old.

I tried to explain who Charles Nelson Reilly was to a group of student assistants the other day. And I have to explain Alice's restaurant EVERY semester.

great survey!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home