Friday, September 01, 2006

Blog Day (late and a dollar short)

Happy (belated) Blog Day everyone. I've been on vacation much of the past three weeks, watching the US Open and getting in as much tennis as I can, and in my rare state of email disconnection I missed blog day... So a day late, here are five blogs that I dig.


  1. Michelle Boule's, A Wandering Eyre. I first became aware of Michelle's blog when we participated in ALA's Web 2.0 Bootcamp. She's been knocking me out ever since. My biggest disappointment at ALA was that I wasn't able to push myself across the crowded room at the Blogger Bash fast enough to say hello. Hi Michelle!

  2. Meredith Farkas' Information Wants to Be Free. A great voice, great honesty, lots of smarts, humor, perspective. Meredith helps me broaden my knowledge, think more deeply, and just plain refreshes my hope for our profession.

  3. Blog About Libraries is a group blog much like the garden. I particularly enjoy Steve Backs' posts on customer service. I share and am inspired by his customer-centered outlook and approach to library services.

  4. Signum sine tinnitu--by Guy Kawasaki: I love the marketing ideas, the interviews with brilliant and interesting people and Guy's laid back vibe. It never fails to entertain or inform, often at the same time.

  5. Creating Passionate Users . Written mostly by Kathy Sierra, along with a few other authors of O'Reilly's "Head First" series, CPU is my "desert island blog". If I was stranded on a deserted island with my laptop and a wireless connection, this is the one I'd read. It activates the part of my brain that dopes me with endorphins when giving (or receiving good customer service) while also appealing to the trainer-boy in me. I love Kathy's insights on how to present information in a way that helps people get it, or "kick ass." To the extent that I kick ass on any given day, Creating Passionate Users helps keep my aim accurate :-)


Certainly not an exhaustive list, and it's hard not to mention all of the blogs that I love and read regularly. But I'd feel super-remiss if I didn't give a shout out to Karen Schneider's Free Range Librarian and Michael Stephens' Tame the Web. I have never in my life manifested an addictive behavior---until I started reading these blogs.

3 Comments:

At September 01, 2006 11:05 PM, Blogger Peter Bromberg said...

Guy, thanks for visiting. I'm honored and flattered :-)

 
At September 04, 2006 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww, thanks... I agree on your choices (I mean, not me... you know what I mean...). I like doing FRL but in terms of keepin' up, LG and Boule's blog and so forth are really important to me.

 
At September 05, 2006 3:49 PM, Blogger Jane said...

Aww, shucks. Thanks for the inclusion in your list. You will have to corner me at the next Blogger Bash.

Creating Passionate Users is a must read for me as well (along with most of the others).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home